Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is My Hair on Fire?

Last week I attended the Reading for the Love of It conference. Saw Rafe Esquith speak, he has to be the most dedicated teacher on the face, not just the U.S.A, where he has won the teacher of the year award among others. but the whole world. It got me thinking. Am I still teaching like my hair is on fire, am I ignoring the crap and getting down to the business of making sure kids get the teaching they need, when they need it? I hope so. I think we all need to take some time to reflect on how we are doing.
I was heard the definition of a competent person is one who worries if they are competent or not, an incompetent person doesn't worry about whether or not they are doing a good job, no self reflection and your picture in right there under the definition of incompetency.

1 comment:

  1. I too had the pleasure of Rafe Esquith's company at the Reading for the Love of It conference.

    He's a crazy man. Which leads me to believe that the crazier the better in this profession.

    I love how Rafe thumbs his nose at the garbage, and instead focuses on the things that really matter ... like rolling up your sleeves and teaching the kids!

    ReplyDelete