Monday, February 15, 2010

Information Plucking

Another guiding question. Let's think about backward design. Where do I want to end up and work backward from there. I want to end up with a solid knowledge of elearning, the confidence and enthusiasm that draws others into the elearning community as well, and of course end up with the new notepad.
Which brings me to the dilemna I am in "write" now. How much is too much. While I want to learn the technical side of this new system of communication it does involve the writing of a blog. While I am one who does enjoy the sound of my own voice and thinks that my opinion is just as or more important than the next persons, I am torn.
An important part of this proces is deciding how much of yourself you want to put out in "cyberspace". There are so many words, pictures, thoughts floating around to be plucked out of the air by people much more talented than I in information plucking. How much is too much?
Is there a need for our opinions to be filling the cyberwaves? Are we running the risk of running out of cyber waste areas as we are with our land waste areas? Years from now will blogs be considered the disposable diapers of the cyber world? How much does an Intel offset cost anyway?

3 comments:

  1. Good food for thought! How much is too much? I would argue your opinion that there are others more talented than you at information plucking, so why bother. Your contributions have made me think ... about what I have to say as a fellow blogger and as an educator. Is my blog just about hearing myself think. But isn't that one of the objectives of writing a blog; putting thoughts to word so that others may respond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the objectives is to put thought to words but have we become a culture that feels we have to comment on everything? make everything available for public consumption. Where do we draw the line? Where is Emily Post when you need her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or think of it this way - don't we often work through ideas by talking about them? Don't we become better by hearing other voices that aren't just the echo of our own thoughts? We are having a - gasp! - PLC conversation by reading and commenting on one another's thoughts. That's a much richer way of using the technology than blogging about what you eat for breakfast every day (or which recipes you cooked - sorry Julie) and if we can get teachers to try using blogs THIS way rather than as alternative ways to answer comprehension questions after reading the novel study chapter, then I think that we are on to something authentic...

    ReplyDelete